—Guest Contributor Rachel Thompson, @BadRedheadMedia—
May is right around the corner and with it comes—along with May flowers—#NaNoProMo! What is this, you ask? Here to reveal all is its creator, Rachel Thompson of BadRedheadMedia. Take it away, Rachel...
Many of you are familiar with #NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) held every November) to inspire writers to write books. There’s even #NaNoEdMo (National Novel Editing Month) every March to help writers edit the book they wrote in November).
I researched and realized there was no book marketing specific month, and because ya know, I have nothing else going on *cough*, last year I created #NaNoProMo — National Novel Promotion Month, to take place in May. It was a huge success, with writers and sponsors from all over the world participating!
To keep to the non-profit tradition, this is all about writers: helping writers, providing resources for writers, being there for writers. So here are the ‘rules:’
There Are No Rules
No daily hours to log. No website to report in to. No badge to win or display (though I may rethink that because I know people really like that).
What there will be:
- Daily blog posts here from experts across the book marketing and publishing spectrum.
- Weekly #BookMarketingChat (every Wednesday 6pmpst/9pm est with expert guests the entire month of May (and there are FIVE Wednesdays in May, so we get an extra chat and an extra expert!)
- Daily prizes and giveaways from awesome companies and experts so visit my blog daily at badredheadmedia.com/nanopromo. To enter to win, simply leave a comment! (Starting May 1 through May 31st.)
- Daily tips and advice on both the @NaNoProMoand @BadRedheadMedia Twitter streams and Facebook Pages: BadRedhead Media and NaNoProMo for more fun ideas.
How Do You Get Involved in #NaNoProMo?
Are there any strings? Nope. Any purchase required? Nope.
This entire effort is totally free, as my way of giving back to you, writer friends. I’ve been coordinating this effort for a few months now and it’s all coming together. If last year’s inaugural effort is any indication, it’s going to be awesome.
It’s easy to participate! You can:
- Visit my blog here daily to read great stuff and enter to win awesome free stuff. How? Simply leave a comment to enter! This is the ONLY way to enter to win prizes.
- Sign up for my BadRedhead Media newsletter to receive daily emails in case you forget to visit the blog or Twitter or Facebook (NO spam. Just the good stuff)
- Join the weekly #BookMarketingChat every Wednesday, 6pm pst/9pm est on Twitter (simply enter the hashtag to join—this is every Wednesday, not only during May)
- Visit the BadRedhead Media and/or NaNoProMo Facebook Pages daily for more tips and fun (likes appreciated!)
- Share with your writer friends! The more who participate and spread the word, the more writers benefit
#NaNoProMo Sponsors So Far (in no particular order):
- Frances Caballo https://socialmediajustforwriters.com Advertising Sponsor!
- Rae E. https://anewlookonbooks.com
- Beyond DEF http://www.beyonddeflit.com
- Alexa Bigwarfe http://writepublishsell.co
- Leigh Shulman https://leighshulman.com
- Barb Drozdowich https://bakerviewconsulting.com
- David Ratner https://ratnerpr.com
- AuthorBytes https://authorbytes.com Advertising sponsor!
- Maureen Connolly https://maureenjconnolly.com
- Donna Jennings, Ph.D. http://drjauthor.com
- John Brubaker https://coachbru.com
- BookWorks https://www.bookworks.com
- BadRedhead Media https://badredheadmedia.com
- Abbie Mood Lang https://abbiemood.com/
- Alexandria Szeman, Ph.D. https://www.thealexandriapapers.com
- Shaunta Grimes https://medium.com/@shauntagrimes
- Emilie Rabitoy (The Rural VA) http://www.emilierabitoy.wordpress.com
- Lola Akinmade Åkerström https://www.lolaakinmade.com/
- Belinda Griffin https://reedsy.com/belinda-griffin
- Jackie Cioffa https://jacquelinecioffa.com
I have several more sponsors coming on as I write this so STAY TUNED for updates, writer friends. Mark your calendars or just sign up for my newsletter for the daily blog posts from these fabulous experts. All you need to do is visit and make a comment to be automagically entered to win consultations, guides, books, and more.
Did I Mention It's All Free?
Someone asked: why do you do this, Rachel? This is a ton of work. What do you get back in return? Good question. It is a ton of work, absolutely. On top of running my business, writing my own books (six out so far—four more on my desktop), being a single mom of two teens, and all kinds of other life stuff, I’m also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and activist. It’s important to me to not only give back to that community, but also to writers in general.
When I published my first book seven years ago, I knew marketing, (seventeen years in Big Pharma—now recovered, thanks) but I didn’t know how to pull all the different variables together to create a viable author platform. In fact, that’s why I wrote the bestselling BadRedhead Media 30-Day Book Marketing Challenge a few years ago —I wanted a simple, daily guide to help writers create their own platform in easy to do assignments.
#NaNoProMo takes this a step further by sharing with writers the wonderful experts I network with daily and provides them with spectacular insider tips, insights, and practical guides they can put into use right away—and it’s completely free. Sharing great stuff is what I’m all about.
Now it’s up to you writers to do the work!
Join us on May 1st for #NaNoProMo and see what all the fuss is about.
Rachel Thompson released the BadRedhead Media 30-Day Book Marketing Challenge in December 2016 to rave reviews.
She is the author of the award-winning, best-selling Broken Places (one of IndieReader’s “Best of 2015” top books and 2015 Honorable Mention Winner in both the Los Angeles and the San Francisco Book Festivals), and the bestselling, multi-award-winning Broken Pieces (as well as two additional humor books, A Walk In The Snark and Mancode: Exposed).
She owns BadRedhead Media, creating effective social media and book marketing campaigns for authors. Her articles appear regularly in The Huffington Post, Feminine Collective, Indie ReaderMedium, OnMogul, Transformation Is Real, Blue Ink Review, Book Machine, and several others.
Not just an advocate for sexual abuse survivors, Rachel is the creator and founder of the hashtag phenomenon #MondayBlogsand the live weekly Twitter chats, #SexAbuseChat, co-hosted with Cee Streetlights and Judith Staff (Tuesdays, 6pm PST/9pm EST), and #BookMarketingChat, co-hosted with author assistant Emily Rabitoy (Wednesdays, 6pm PST/9pm EST).